Electric Shock |Dental

Incidents, Accidents or Near-misses


A recent incident at a dental practice where an employee received an electric shock caused when a bottle of saline solution had been placed on it’s side next to a curing light charging unit, and was leaking due to a faulty seal.

"Luckily no one was severely injured, however the incident serves as a great reminder to everyone to how things can go wrong from little mistakes or oversights"

Electricity and water are a dangerous combination because electricity will travel through water, and you, to get to the ground. Electrocution is the injury or killing of someone by electric shock.


The voltage of electricity isn't the biggest danger, the available electric current is, and your average home or business has enough power to cause death by electrocution.


In this case no one died but it does highlight the need to always #PracticeSafe, ensure you have the right safety measures in place. Store liquids in accordance with manufacturer instructions and avoid storing wet/liquid based products near electrical equipment. Always check electrical appliances are located in a safe place, away from liquid or other hazards.

At the end of the day, the goals are simple: Safety and Security. Jodi Rell

Postal Address

PO Box 12475,

Chartwell Square,

Hamilton, New Zealand

3248

Physical Address

66 Mataroa Cres, 
Flagstaff,

Hamilton, New Zealand
3210

Contact

+64 224 757 067

admin@practicesafe.co.nz

Follow

©2016 by Practice Safe (Widesmile Ltd)